Lesson of the Day #1 "The Ant Problem"


*If you develop an ant problem*

Note: I grew up on a boat, not land like most! So most of you might know what doesn't and does work, but for those who don't, here is what I've learned...

Apparently, ants LOVE fat, and some sugary things! 
Beef... OMGosh
Ice Cream drips on the counter... ant trails galore
Jello... they actually like sugar water!
These are just a few of the things I've noticed...

HOW TO GET RID OF ANTS (what doesn't and does work):

What doesn't work:

Trial one... Clean all of the food and think they'll go away
They did not disperse! Instead they scavenge in my cupboards instead and looked for places with food that they wouldn't bother travelling so far for. The food attractors are what they're there for, and when removed, they go after things they wouldn't have traveled the distance for. A BIG PAIN! I TRIED to be merciful to the ants!

Trial two... Clean all the food and starting to kill all visible ants with sponge.
Getting fed-up with them not leaving, I reasoned, since the food source was gone, no more ants would come! So to fix the problem, I started squishing them with my wet sponge (a big step in cruelty for me, but more humane than drowning them or ant killer). ANT CLEAN! Until I strolled into the kitchen a little later... ANTS!!! I guess if a trail of ants is on the move to your house, they keep following the trail, even when you take away the source! Getting rid of food source and killing visible ants with a wet sponge does not work.

I talked to my mom about it (a land dweller most of her life), and she said to track the ant trail to their source/den and pour gasoline down and light it on fire!!! Death by gasoline and fire? I rate that in a ten star category for cruelty, I cannot do it!
My husbands first approach to it was to spray "Raid" ant & roach killer. I could not do it and decided to do my trial one then trial two, surly thinking they would work and be more humane! But I you know, my methods didn't work

What DOES work:

What works: Raid ant & roach spray...
In the end I decided, for a peaceful life not crawling with ants, that my husband's approach would be best. I basically gave him the rains to use the stuff, and left the room as he wreaked havoc on the ants!


TIPS OF HOW TO KEEP ANTS OUT:
1. Don't let your trashcan touch the wall (ants don't like to walk on the floor we've observed, but they will crawl on walls)
2. Be extra clean when it rains (ants can't get food outside so they'll come inside!)
3. Clean counters and tables after use (or before you go to bed if your ants are not as quick to respond)
4. Wash dishes before you go to bed (or right after meal of ant problem is prominent) Don't leave dishes to sit in the sink overnight!
5. A bowl of Halloween candy on the counter is not such a good idea!!! Some candies they seem not to be attracted to, but try not to experiment ;) Candy on an island table, ants here haven't bothered with, they don't like the floor.


Comments

  1. EXCUSE ME!! Baby girl, you didn't listen to my directions...I didn't say pour gas down and light it! But it sounds exciting....I think the Raid idea sounds okay unless you can find a non-chemical way, which I'm sure there is. love, mom

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment