George Potty Trained! In 3 Days...


George is officially potty trained! We set aside the time and made it work and happen! Now, we've tried this method two times before, but had gotten sick once, and both times we ourselves weren't entirely ready for the commitment and idea of following through. This time though, I was very ready to follow through. Saving $30 a month was a big incentive too. Emilie was getting diaper rash, and we switched back to a more expensive brand. If we stick with Pampers, we really need that extra $30 since they get far more expensive as the sizes go up than the Target brand Up and Up. If the Walmart diaper brand Parent's Choice works though, we'll be able to put $30 into other much needed piles. It's pretty nice too to have George being more independent, and continuing with reinforcing the training is a nice project to obsess over, as well as the Montessori style of parenting and teaching we started doing (really an amazing program Maria Montessori developed!). Anyway, if you ever would like to do the 3 day potty training method, I recommend you go here:
http://www.babycenter.com/0_potty-training-in-three-days-or-less_10310078.bc  


There are many variations of the method, but if your child is ready, this is the quickest and true three day method. At first, we tried to use underwear like George's best friend (it's been working for her), but after peeing every 15 minutes through his underwear and me scrubbing and scrubbing in the sink, I was sure he wasn't ready to potty train. Then I decided, "Well, he's really not ready, but I'll stick with it the rest of the day, so while I'm at it, I might as well try the bottomless method". Well, George had 2 accidents without underwear, and then he was peeing in the potty every time after... without me telling him to!!! George was literally pee-potty trained in one day! On day three, he was fully poop trained on the potty. When he first went, he pooped right before my eyes on the floor. I quickly squeeled "no no no!" and put him on the potty. I explained that poo poo goes in the potty and he made one little dot in the potty and I praised him extensively. After, I picked up the accident on the floor and put it the potty and showed him that's where it went. We basically had a classroom "Show & Tell" with George examining his poop very closely in the toilet! I explained when he goes poo poo in the potty he got to pick a special candy from the Owl Cup and I let him pick one since he made a little dot in the potty ;). Later that day he went poop again in the potty and was completely poo potty trained!

The few things that really helped us during potty training:
1. Putty a diaper IN the potty like in the picture above. This was a life saver, I can't tell you how much for my sanity! I saw a portable travel potty on Amazon with it and got the idea from it, the Bonaco Caboose Travel Potty (see it here). I didn't know this the first day of potty training, and after 20+ times of washing my hands with him after cleaning the potty every time, I had cracking and bleeding hands (it was painful). Now I only have to change it about 3 times a day.
2. Daniel the Tiger episode "Prince Wednesday goes to the Potty" episode on Amazon. It's the first thing I let him watch every morning, and I played it several times on the first day. There's a catchy phrase-song, "If you have to go potty, STOP, and go right away! Flush and wash and be on your way!". It's a catchy song and has been great with helping George think of potty training as fun. Plus, watching a lot of TV during the hard core 1st day is so helpful with making it fun and less stressful.
3. Homemade hand sanitizer. We started this on day 2 (that's when I thought of it). Cleaning the potty every time with a screaming newborn and George wanting to just play in the sink and not wash his hands was very hard. The homemade sanitizer made it so much more easy on your hands, and doesn't have the unbearable synthetic scents that store bought ones do.
To make your own hand sanitizer use:
  • One PET plastic 4 oz bottle (or use a regular one for short term use). You can get bottles here.
  • Fill bottle 3/4 full with bottled water. 
  • Put in 3 Tbsp of Aloe Vera gel
  • add 60 drops of your choice antibacterial essential oils (I used 30 Lavender, 15 Ravensara, 15 Roman Chamomile). The brand I personally use and recommend is Eden Botanicals (has the highest quality essential oils I've ever tried, but be warned it does have $8 shipping, however it will get there in 3 days).
My recipe is a spin off from Lawrence Rosen's (MD co-author of Treatment Alternatives for Children) recipe, see here. If your making your hand sanitizer for your children, please read which essential oils are safe for your children before adding them to your hand sanitizer. This page is where I look for a quick, easy to read reference (here). The oils are listed by age.

Anyway, we're so excited to have potty training done, but of course we'll have to maintain the training that's been done! So far, George has only had one accident a day, after the initial first day of potty training, and we are so proud of him! When going to church Sunday, he had ZERO accidents (we have 3 hours of church, and brought him to the potty every 30-45 minutes). It was funny to hear the comments from people of "the cute potty" that was put in the bathroom too, not knowing who had brought it! Now, just three months bottomless in the house and he can finally ware underwear and pants at home...

Please note that I do not get any reimbursements for the products I recommend. I only recommend them because I have tried them myself and would like to share them because they have worked for me.

Comments