A Day After Mom's Surgery, Dog beach, and a Day in the City


Yesterday my mom got out of surgery and is now recovering with a new Bionic Hip! She's doing well despite the pain and did much better with her physical therapy today than yesterday, that they think she will be released tomorrow. She's pretty excited to be nearly done with the hospital stay, even though she has enjoyed her stay at the 5 Star Hollywood like hospital, with golden hallways and views of the San Diego Temple from her window! Afterward, she'll be enjoying her stay in the countryside with her lap and recovery/therapy dog Isabella, the grandkids and us. It'll be work getting her hip back to 100% functioning, but it is in the future and she's excited for a bright future without the agonizing pain of a fractured hip! I would put a picture of her, but she'd most likely disown me if I did so of her without makeup, messed up hair, and in a hospital gown... so I'll withhold it ;)

Being down in in the city all day was quite hard on my own with the kids after my visit with mom, but we made it (even if barely). We started the stressful day out at dog beach with George nearly downing (He was soaked from head to foot, I was soaked from the waist down, and Emilie dipped her toes in in the sling). It wasn't too deep but I saw him struggling. I decided to let him work it out for a few seconds since I was sure he could get back up, but once he got up and tripped deeper, I was running. If it wasn't for the video I watched that educated people on downing, I wouldn't have known the seriousness of it all as I watched him. Children don't scream or make noise when they drown or in the process of drowning. Their arms go out, flap like birds and they're silent (their heads may not be fully immersed either). As I made it to the water, his head went under fully with another trip. Because he was making no noise, I don't think anyone even noticed till I had started running and breaking through the water like a mad women. Here is a video of what drowning really looks like. See if you can spot the drowning child before the lifeguard does. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0KTqPloUiU. George's eyes were red with sea salt and he was crying as I drug him out by his shirt. After some hymn singing, and commenting nonchalantly about what happened, we slowly made the long way to the car. It was a very traumatizing experience, but being calm helped him dismiss the major trauma of it I think; he got over it quickly. The comment from the woman handing me my bag as I got out of the water was, "My, you have your hands full." I guess I do. I love them more than the whole world and won't return any of them though, so sorry!

After Dog Beach (George really did have fun with the dogs before the water incident), we headed to Jack in the Box drive through and ate and hung out in the car for awhile. Then we made our way to the library (I thought he would fall asleep on the way and was planning on reading or something), and after George wanted to go in, realized I couldn't with my sneakers soaked and sandy. Then we made our way to Liberty Station park, and it was awesome. I was bummed I couldn't give him more (or any) attention as he was galloping around and stealing other children's toys so they would play chase, but it was a good time for him to get some energy out and he was having fun. Emilie was only content being held, and she really didn't like being jostled while I ran after George trying to teach manners or to make him use the stairs instead of climbing the slide. There's only so much one mom can do I realized. I think I depend too much on my hubby and mom to help out, I really got to be able to help nurture and protect these guys on my own. It's pretty hard. Well, I was very happy to pick up Scott from work that evening, lets just say! Life is overwhelming, but say la vi (that's totally not how you spell it but whatever). I'll keep praying and lean on Heavenly Father. I'm thankful for life, I'm thankful for my kids, I'm thankful for friends and church, and... I'm thankful for chocolate... and dairy (I had to have some yesterday, I think I'll give up quitting it for the eighth time). Goodnight :)

Comments