We Saw A Mountain Lion

As we winded down our mountainous roads, we caught the site of reflective eyes behind some brush up ahead on our left. Scott slowed down as I told him to stop and asumed a deer was about to bolt across. That something was not a deer... it was a fully grown mountain lion. The big, so called cat, was the size of a smaller sized female African Lion, and it slowly, and heavily did a little run across the road. The thing was massive, its structure was mustled, its run heavy under its mass of weight, and it was big. The site of it was a blessing to see, because now we know exactly what we're up against.

When I first saw it, my mouth dropped in disbief. I never imagined one could be so large. All the hipe of mountain lions, right? Sure theyre dangerous for a goat, but not my 200lbs hubby right? So wrong, so wrong. The fear one would have of an African Lion could be placed in one of these, because they're just as dangerous. I'm sure all of them are not so big (I hope...), but one would be a fool not to take great precaution. I remember as we were driving slowly on, with my mouth open in shock, that the lion paused to look back at us. For the first time, for a few seconds, it entered my heart that we should move. Will that be the case? No, I think not. If anything however, its made us realize that having goats where we live in the mountains is a completely unreasonable idea. Not only that, but we're possibly endangering our friends and neighbors by having them, our goats. That one night we had left the goats out and our first was killed was the starting of it all, and now that its happened in daylight too, it seems keeping goats is futile endeavour. Sad, but it seems to be the fact. Its more clear than ever that this is not a game. Unless we spent about 50+ hours of clearing a radius of 50-100ft around our goat fence from brush, and installing burgler lights and scare sprinklers... and finding more goat buddies, it is certain that more goats would be taken. Even with all these measures there would be no guarantee they'd work either.

Anyway, I suppose thats enough to write. But know this, those pictures they have of mountain lions on the internet make them look "dainty". They're not, they're big hunks of heavy muscle with powerful, massive paws, and if everyone saw what we saw, an extermination order would be passed.

Comments