A Day at Nana's and a Dentist Appointment




At Nana's, last week marked the first day of the year's sail boat races! We obviously didn't keep score on who did better (since they're mostly all white sail boats with white sails and can't tell who's who), but we had a blast watching the races, the sea, and the city. George threw rocks into the water, gradually working up to bigger and bigger rocks, and both Emilie and Izzie (mom's dog) rummaged around pebbles for things to stick in their mouths. Pictures were taken, sea gulls were heard, and some dogs managed to sneak by our oblivious guard dog. It was really nice weather, and the kids always have fun by the water while we walk Isabella.

That day I also had a dentist appointment and got my first professional cleaning in about 10 years or so. I'm so, so happy I started going again and my teeth are on their way to health. Sadly I'm scheduled to get 10 cavities filled and currently am getting over gingivitis which I was diagnosed with. The good news is that the dentist assistant, who cleaned my teeth (she is so awesome), helped me in my special conviction to turn around and now I'm brushing my teeth twice a day, flossing at night, and using mouthwash... and I bought a $40 toothbrush, maybe overkill but a good investment. I'm determined though to keep my dental health up to sparkling healthy... and when I'm determined I can stick to something (besides refusing an epidural though, but I was determined to change my mind! Actually I wanted to jump to a C-section but Scott convinced me of a middle ground... Well, anyway, that's besides the point!). I also found out that a lot of my tooth pain is caused by jaw clenching and possibly grinding in my sleep. Teeth apparently never should be resting against each other and should only be touching while chewing food. Also, when you floss, it's not side-to-side (cuts gums), it's an up/down movement! And apparently Spin-brushes (you know, that $6-9 electric tooth brush at Target?) is way too big for the average sized mouth and will make you miss spots (hence why I spend $40 on an on-sale electric toothbrush). They also recommend Sonic Care electric toothbrushes, ProNamel toothpaste among their first choices, and floss coated in fluoride doesn't really matter since you brush your teeth after you floss apparently (so any kind will do!). And wither you brush before or after a meal? Well, doing either is better than nothing and can get your twice a day brushing in (very important), but it is better to brush after you eat, which gets all the food out of your teeth. How do you brush your teeth? At a 45 degree angle, pointed toward your gums. Brushing straight into your teeth will push/shove germs up into your gums and will cause gingivitis. I would think a 45 degree angle would do this too, but apparently not. I'm really wondering, has everyone already learnt this? Well, if nothing else, at least I know how to brush my own kids' teeth and floss them correctly (why didn't their dentist teach me this?).



Here is a picture of Emilie, who managed to sneak into our Apple Pie this Sunday morning! The happiness on her face was priceless (as well as the mischievousness). So sad she ate all the caramel topping though!

Comments