Cloth Diapering, Once Again


Picture
1
Picture
2
Picture
3
George and Emilie are both now in cloth! Well, Emilie is slowly transitioning into it as we get supplies, but she's getting into it with George, who is cloth diapering full time. The whole process of cloth diapering is actually pretty easy, as long as you go with the basics. The first time with cloth, the whole world of CD (cloth diapering) was so overwhelming. Seriously, there's AIO, Pockets, Fitteds, Prefolds, Flats, and then within those categories is enough to make ones head spin. The first time I failed at cloth, wasn't because of my lack of determination, but because CD was causing rashes, really bad ones... which CD is suppose to prevent. 

HISTORY/REASONS Long story short, we ended up getting pocket diapers (soft fabric sewed onto a waterproof cover, making a pocket, you stuff absorbent fabric into) after we got Pre-folds. The trouble with the pocket diapers was the waterproof shell being sewed to the fabric against George's skin, which limited how drastic of cleaning measures we could take (many things damage waterproofing). In the end, I took the drastic measures in desperation, and... I hashed my diapers. Which left us with our prefolds (Thick, thick padded cotton). I didn't like Pre-folds because they were not cloud soft, and that was the whole reason I had gone with CD in the first place. I wanted a cloud on my baby's bum, not processed paper loaded with chemicals. In the end, we turned to disposables to save our babies bum. Sorry cloth, but if you don't help me, I'll ditch you (not in it for the planet, but happy to help out if it doesn't harm me).

So, what lead us back to cloth diapering? Finding that our son was taking us $30 over our diaper budget a month... $60. Emilie herself costs $30 a month for diapers. In total, $90!!! I decided to unpack our old Pre-folds and once again, give it a go. Now, I'm still not a fan of pre-folds, but is does do the job. George loves his diaper covers too, and when I opened two of his $8 covers in the mail, his eyes lit up excited. They were a back country jean print ;). No mom, I'm not going for Harley Davidson ;). For Emilie, we aren't using George's Pre-fold, but instead... Flats! In specific, a 20x20 inch square piece of fabric (cut from a Large T-shirt from our local thrift store). Of course, we could do all her diapers that way, but I found out something spectacular in the cloth diapering world, Bamboo/cotton Flats! Remember my obsession with cloud soft when I started diapering? These are cloud soft and I heard feel like "creme de la creme". Also a bonus, is that with Flats, there is only one layer of fabric, so they're super easy to clean and just take 20 minutes to dry on a clothesline! One person said if you have rash problems with CD, go back to the basics... Flats :). Bamboo flats also have been touted for having antibacterial properties as well (even after the processing though? Still not sure.). After doing research in CD though, I think this might be a good way to go for Emilie. It's definitely more luxurious than thrift store T-shirts, but it's still affordable. A pack of 12 Bamboo flats come out at $30. Two packs of those to do laundry every two days (it's never recommended to go over 3 days because the bacteria and ammonia build up can get hard to deal with). That will end up being about $60... a month of diaper budget, for years of use!  Not bad huh? True, you have to take a minute to put on a  diaper (rather than second), time to get the hang of putting it on, washing, dealing with poop and all, but $90 a month saved! Come on people! Big cloth diapering brands say they save you in the long run (but can cost $300 to start with), but I want to save a little in the short run too! Flats are an awesome way to do that. Pre-folds too. :)
Picture
George caught me trying to take a picture of his diaper cover (the white scribbles on it are math equations), so he helped me shoot a good pic by lifting up his shirt and pointing! Look at how good he lines up his cars too!!!

Comments