Sweet Emilie ... a first tooth and some acid reflux


A New Tooth
As I was feeding Emilie spoons of applesauce in the car yesterday, I noticed a swollen gum and a tiny tooth poking out! Her first tooth is her bottom right one, in the front! We were all super excited and all cheered for joy as I broke the news to George and daddy in the car ride back from getting some fencing material (Scott is in the process of assembling a bigger fenced in area for the goats.). The reason for the restless past two to three nights has finally been answered and now Emilie is finally starting to calm down into a more restful sleep.
UPDATE: Durring dinner tonight I noticed a second tooth! Emilie's been a busy girl with her left, front bottom tooth peeking out now too!

Acid Reflux On other news, Pediatricians don't know everything I learned (though they have lots of advice)! I'm discovering that baby cereal is doing more harm than good in feeding it to her. Our Pediatrician told us to feed her 4 Tablespoons of oatmeal cereal per day to get enough iron, since Emilie turned six months. I found it impossible to feed her that in one feeding like she said it could be done, so then I had a goal of 2T per meal. I don't recall the whole process of the downfall, only that it happened. A few days ago, as I established the goal to feed her 2T's worth of oatmeal cereal, I only got to about 1T when she starting crying and becoming inconsolable till I stopped. Normally she ends up crying, and I always thought it was her way of saying, "I'm full, I don't want any more", but this time I finally felt that something was off. Then I thought back on all her grunting during meal time, and called back on a time past when Scott's co-leader in CubScouts had told us about his son when he was a baby, and how he had the worst case of acid reflux and how he didn't know how he had it for so long, and how his son "grunted" (his son had a whole lot more problems than Emilie though, since his was so severe, like not being able to sleep flat at night). As I did some research on the internet, I've diagnosed my daughter on the grounds that she;

Looking at Chris Kresser's article, I found the SCD diet ("Specific Carbohydrate Diet"), which helps prevent acid reflux. The number one thing about acid reflux is that there is actually too much acid, not too little, and that the "bad bacteria" thrive and cause a lot of problems. The goal is to bring back the acid and help the "good bacteria" thrive. What's also interesting is that my niece had SIBO (small intestinal bacterial overgrowth), which the SCD diet treats as well! When I saw that, my mouth dropped. What's more is that I think the oatmeal cereal is what started Emilie's whole acid reflux issue (oats and other complex carbs are restricted in the SCD diet). Emile never grunts as she's breastfeeding, but she does as she's eating solids and especially oatmeal cereal (and I've mostly been feeding her oatmeal cereal). Anyway, I'm going to try this SCD diet and see how it works. I do plan on discussing this with my pediatrician about all this and see her thoughts on it. I also do plan to reintroduce cereal and grains to my daughter once she's a bit older and as she can tolerate them. The scriptures say that wheat is the staff of life after all! For now though, I'm using the "Health Though Diet, SCD Allowable Food List" which I'll give a link to here. I hope this food change will help, and I'll give you an update once her grunting and crying has stopped completely! I'm happy to announce that I've seen improvement with cutting out the grains (complex carbs) and starchy vegetables, and giving her simple carbs instead like apples and avocado. Anyway, I'm glad I'm getting this down in it's tracks, and thank Heavenly Father for helping me remember that man's recollections from a past Cub Scout meeting from several years ago.

Anyway, I'm back to ground one with her first food of apple sauce and now adding and blending in avocado. After some avocado for three days I'll be introducing a Kale/avocado blend that I've made fresh today and put in the freezer. The downside only downside is that there aren't many SCD friendly canned baby foods of variety out there, so I'm sticking to fresh and homemade. Hopefully the benefits will be Emilie being happy and healthy and ready  to go about the day after every meal! (without me having to breastfeed her for comfort after a solid food feeding). I love you Emilie! I'm excited for this new adventure of home cooking for you, and with learning and growing together <3 <3 <3
Picture
Apple Sauce and Avocado (recipe: one serving of an applesauce cup, and one ripe avocado mashed. Easiest recipe ever.)

Comments