Emilie, George and the Goats

This morning we decided to go outside to spend some time with the goats. George and Emilie had a small photo op in the goat's 10x10 outdoor kennel that daddy fixed yesterday with a wired top and canvas. The goat's are doing really well, and the two little fellas are doing fine (the day after we neutered them, they were oblivious to the rubber bands). The Boer's and the Nigerian Dwarf's still like to keep to themselves, and have established a fragile peace. With their personalities, I'm surprised I like the big Boer's more (Kimmie's my favorite). They're skittish, but so lovable and so much like cocker spaniel puppies! They rub up against you, wag their tail at times, have floppy ears, and bleat like they're going to die as you leave them! The Nigerian's are cute and tame, but won't snuggle you like our baby Boers. Granted, they're a month older and have been weaned from their mama for much longer. I'm thinking I may just have to spend more time with them and get them bonded with me (...they may also have a vendetta with me since I held them in place as their manhood was taken! ;)). Anyway, we'll get these fellas attached to us if it's the last thing we do! We're not going to eat them, and that sort of gives me permission to love them like any pet! We have a goat lifetime of pet companions, and that's pretty exciting (did you know they live as long as dogs?!)! George is loving to spend time with them and is doing really well with them too (but has to be constantly reminded he can't tackle hug them!). Emilie doesn't have to be scolded just yet, but the goats themselves have gotten some scolding from Scott as they nibble her sleeves and bunny doll (I think it's adorable, but we do have to be careful). Anyway, it's an awesome experience to have goats as pets. I can't think of a better experience I could have given my kids than to help raise and take care of animals. They're learning to be kind, have respect and caution for/with animals (they have horns, and even if they didn't, their skull could knock a tooth out), have discipline and do productive work in helping take care of them! I know there's other ways to teach children these things too, but for our family, this is by far the funnest way to teach these things!

Comments