A New Computer, Samsung Chromebook Plus Review!




Well, we're just buzzing with technology at our home. First a new phone, and now a new computer! As Scott and I were discussing operating systems one day on a drive down, I realized that I really liked Android and was so sad it didn't come on computers! Well, I was wrong and after a bit of research I found a computer that came with Android. The Samsung Chromebook comes with a Chrome OS and Android operating system hybrid. It's also a physical hybrid as well, being able to fold the keyboard completely back and into a tablet. The touch screen and Android apps work when it's in laptop form too, making it truly immersed in Android (I never knew how much I loved Android until Scott got an iPhone!).

For the Play Store and apps, I'm completely wowed. I installed George's Todo Math app, and it worked beautifully. George loved how immersive math was on the big screen and the change from pushing small numbers on a phone screen to bigger numbers in a massive space. The ability to switch from a laptop configuration to a tablet with just flipping the keyboard back is priceless!

Putting the Samsung Chromebook (12.4" screen) side by side with my Macbook Pro (13" Retina screen) wowed me seeing the similar screen quality between them. The only difference I could personally tell was that the color setting was set a bit warmer on the Macbook Pro, and was only a smiggin bit sharper with it's Retina sceen (not bad considering I got my Chromebook for $443 new and my Macbook $1300 referbished!). Using the Samsung Chromebook, I'm already using about 80-90% whereas with my Mac, I feel I was only using about 5% of the applications on it and felt like I was just scratching the surface of what I could be doing. I also love, love, love Google (which makes Chromebook, Gmail, Blogspot, Google Photos, etc.) so it really was a no brainier for me since all of those things are on Chromebook and that's what Chromebook is all about. Downsizing from a Mac to a Chromebook hasn't been nearly as hard as I thought it would be (especially since I don't play Second Life and other Mac/Windows based games anymore, which won't run on a Chromebook). The bottom line is that it's going to be sad parting with my Mac and selling it off on Craigslist, but I'm ready for the change and am going to make the jump!

George playing Todo Math on our new Chromebook/Tablet

Emilie asleep in her sun hat, with Carmex lipbalm in her hand! (photo edited on my Chromebook!)

Comments