A Visit to the Nutritionist


Picture

Should I walk the fine line or strictly obey? Example, to maintain my weight and eat healthy, my nutritionist wants me to eat 2-3 oz of nuts... okay, I got them... what if I made dark chocolate energy bites out of them though?! Okay, that would make me laugh, but since you don't have any background I tell you why that's funny. She does not support the use of added sugar... nope, not at all. 100% cocoa chocolate probably, but anything with added sugar is a big no-no in her book. That means sugarless herbal tea (I could get use to it), no ice cream, apple pie sweetened possibly by dates. Well, it seems weird. The only hard thing is that I have to be a role model for my children. I also need to get my weight loss under control and hopefully not feel sick after half my meals. I'm still perplex of why food in general makes me feel sick, but I'm hoping that undertaking a food diary (like she recommends) may help me. In a month I'll post it, and if anyone would like to help me find out what exactly is making me feel sick all the time, oh, I'll love you for it. For cutting sugar, I'm not doing it entirely, at least not yet. I have no doubt that it will make me feel better, but I'll finish the food in the fridge first. I will make the pledge that I won't buy any groceries that contain added sugar though! I was never asked to quit cold turkey though, so I don't plan on doing it, and I still plan to have an occasional ice cream or slice of cake. Oh, the dilemma though. There really does need to be a support group for this kind of diet change. Why am I doing this? Oh yeah, to feel better and set a good healthy pattern for my kids at the same time. On a side note though, Pomegranate seeds are like natures candy! Mmmm. :) I'm pretty sure I can make this diet taste good and not be as depressing as she's presenting it to me as! I've already started a Pintrist Page called Whole Foods, and I'm hoping to find (and even add my own!) recipes on there.

If you would like to see my notes that I wrote after visiting the Nutritionist, please, I post them below. <3

__________________________________________________________________
Notes about Nutritionist visit, October 5th, 2015


Eat Primarily the following, on my whole foods diet (underlined helps stabilize/gain weight, star is most of all):

*Vegetables, beans, fruit, nuts/seeds, starchy vegetables, whole grains.


Scale of food (top most nutritious to bottom, least):

-Vegetables (lots, unlimited)

-beans (1/2 to 1 cup or more per day)

-Fruit (aim for a piece of fruit at every meal. She recommends 4/day)

-Nuts/seeds (2-3 oz/day for me, 1 oz for those trying to loose weight)

-Starchy vegetables (for those wanting to maintain or gain weight)

-whole grains

-animal products (she said fish twice a week, and rotating chicken a beef once a week would be okay - I asked)

-processed (she recommends very tiny amounts, and would be okay with never!)


Food high in calories are the:

-nuts/seeds -at least 2-3oz/day for me, avocado

-Starchy veg: sweet potato, winter squash, corn, peas (yes, corn and peas are nutritious)

-Whole grains.


Out of butter, olive oil, and coconut butter, choose olive oil in small amounts if any. But very small amounts only if needed. Coconut butter is actually unnaturally processed and practically only fat.


Milk is considered a choice of animal products. Choose animal products wisely, if you choose one, don’t choose another as well. Picking the healthier one is ideal (example Fresh baked salmon vs a cup of milk). Don’t have an animal product at every meal also! I can end up crowding out the good nutritious food by packing in the less nutritious food. My brie and crackers I’ve been splurging on is a ‘treat’.


Since I feel sick a lot, keep a food diary and try to notice which foods make me feel unwell and how I feel exactly.


A book that would be good for me in helping establish healthy eating habits at home: Disease proof your child, by Joel Fuhrman


For salads, I don’t need to eat them at every meal! Making a big green smoothie in the morning is totally acceptable. I would still want to eat veggies later, like in stir fry (soy sauce is okay, but low sodium is a must. If I’m use to the high one, my sodium intake is too high), soup, whole wheat tortilla (like Ezekiel brand) burrito with some veggies (example: beans, avocado, salsa, shredded cabbage).


The goal is to get food needed within a day, not at every meal! For example, if I’m having oatmeal in the morning with flax or chia seeds and some fruit, I’ll need to make sure I get in some good greens later.


A green smoothie is an awesome idea to get healthy greens in. She recommends “bolster nutrition” as much as possible. To bolster nutrition she recommends seeds/nuts (maybe like 1-2 T and to taste. To make it sweet, I should lessen amount of honey and sweetness in it till there is none at all. Any added sugar is bad (even honey in raw form). Switch to unsweetened almond or soy milk. Apparently sugar added is not good, even if it adds calories. It’s not about adding calories at no cost! I want to add "healthy calories". So, skip the ice cream, and sweeten with a banana, possibly nut butter and berries. Between frozen and fresh, there isn’t much difference nutrition wise.


Weigh myself once a week, if I’m not gaining back to my weight or loosing weight, add pea or other plant-based protein to my shake. She doesn’t recommend my chocolate soy protein powder, because most soy protein powders are made with protein isolate, which apparently isn’t good, and also not as healthy as the whole soy bean itself.

This diet can support growing teenagers, but they will probably need lots of it and more of the higher calorie ones, especially if an athlete.

She seemed to be okay with eating fish twice a week, and rotating beef and chicken for once a week. I'm guessing she would be fine if I ate even less meat, but not more than that to be eating healthy.

Comments